The items on the Public Release Forms of the Biology High School Assessment represent a fair measure of the Biology Core Learning Goals — both the Skills and Processes and the Concepts of Biology. Users of these items should take into consideration the following information:
- All items have been field tested, produced good psychometric data, and are statistically reliable.
- Each form is approximately 30 minutes shorter than the version students will take during a formal test administration because the forms do not include field test items.
- There are items of all difficulty levels (easy, medium, and hard) on the public release forms.
- Each item represents only one way to measure an indicator.
- The items measure students' knowledge of skills, processes, and concepts as directed by the Core Learning Goal indicators as designated for the Biology High School Assessment.
- Both item formats — selected response and brief constructed response — are represented on forms administered prior to May 2009.
- Both discrete items and laboratory sets are shown.
- A technical passage with accompanying items is shown.