|Identify the key processes|
Before principals can effectively lead he school improvement process, they must understand the key processes and strategies for hitting an instructional target. The "How to Hit a Target" questions below identify these key instructional processes.
How to Hit a Target
- Understanding the Target
Teaching the Indicators
- Do all staff understand what students are asked to know and do on the state assessments?
- Do all staff understand how student performance is scored on the state assessments and what a satisfactory and excellent student response looks like?
Assessing the Indicators
- Do all staff know the goals, expectations, and indicators they are responsible for teaching?
- Do all staff teach them?
- Do all staff review them?
Monitoring Individual Student Progress
- Do all staff know how to assess the content standards and performance outcomes?
- How are they being assessed in your program?
- What do the results indicate?
Intervening with students not succeeding
- Are all staff monitoring progress of individual students on these performance outcomes?
- How do they use the data to inform instruction?
- How do they share the results?
- Do all staff provide interventions for students not demonstrating attainment of an outcome?
- What are your most common interventions for students not achieving?
- How successful are the interventions?
- What percentage of your students need interventions?